This is a part of my personal notes. Use this information at your own risk. If you are uncertain or don't know what you are doing. Do not proceed.
Asus RT-N66U is a Linux based wireless router. The stock firmware can be a bit limiting for the more advanced user. If you want better QoS, OpenVPN or just more control over the network I recommend installing Tomato by Shibby firmware.
I use the all in one, AIO, i.e.
- Download latest Tomato by Shibby, e.g. tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-117-AIO-64K.trx.
- Connect the router to a computer with cable.
- Turn off router.e
- Turn on route while holding in reset button. Wait until the power LED starts blinking. The router is in flash mode.
- Configure the network opn the computer to
- Browse to http://192.168.1.1, erase NVRAM and upload the new firmware.
- This takes some time.
- Configure network on computer to DHCP and wait until it receives a address.
- Browse to http://192.168.1.1 and start configuring the router.